Prescription for You, Poison for Pets | 5 Common Medications Consumed by Pets
Prescription for You, Poison for Pets
5 Common Medications Consumed by Pets
Never, under any circumstances, is it safe to administer over- the-counter or prescription human medication to your pet. Think of it this way, if you take someone else’s medicine, that isn’t prescribed to you, you are putting yourself at risk of serious illness, or even death. So why would it be okay for an animal?
Veterinary Emergency Clinic understands however, that animals are curious, and tend to get into things they shouldn’t. Accidents happen every day. According to the ASPCA, about ¼ of all phone calls to the Animal Poison Control Center concern the consumption of human medications.
If you find remnants of an open or chewed up pill bottle, or other evidence leading you to believe that your pet ingested human medication, call Veterinary Emergency Clinic as soon as possible. We can answer your questions and get you in to see a vet 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. With the help of the APCC, here are the top 5 most common complaints for consumption of human medication.
- Ibuprofen – Motrin, Advil, etc – Very commonly used by people for pain management. Ibuprofen can cause kidney failure and stomach ulcers in animals.
- Tramadol – Ultram – Prescribed as a pain reliever, this medication is used for pets, but ONLY under proper dosage. Never give your medication to the animal without a Veterinarian’s discretion. Tramadol, in higher doses, can cause agitation, wobbliness, disorientation, vomiting, tremors, and possible seizures.
- Alprazolam- Xanax – Anti-anxiety medication and sleep-aid. Pets that consume Alprazolam can become wobbly, sleepy, or agitated. Some people leave these pills on their nightstand to remember to take them, which leads to pet consumption. Large doses can cause weakness or collapse.
- Adderall- Combination of 4 different amphetamines used to treat ADHD for children and adults. It acts as a stimulant in pets and causes elevated heart rate and body temperature, along with hyperactivity, tremors, and possible seizures.
- Zolpidem- Ambien- Sleep-aid medication, also often left on bedside tables. Zolpidem may make cats wobbly and sleepy, but most pets become agitated and develop an elevated heartbeat.
These medications are the top 5 most common, but remember that any medication consumed by your pet is dangerous to their health. To prevent emergency for your pet, remember these simple reminders. It is your responsibility as a pet owner to do your best to avoid trips to the emergency vet, which is where you’ll find yourself if your animal eats any human medication.
- ALWAYS keep medications away from pets
- ALWAYS contact Veterinary Emergency Clinic if your pet ingested human medication
- DO NOT leave pills sitting free, outside of a bottle or container.
- DO NOT leave pill bottles in easily accessible areas- Dogs can chew through bottles, trust us.
- NEVER give your medication, or any human medication, to your pet, without consultation from your Buffalo Veterinarian.
Remember, if you suspect your animal may have consumed medication, or show any of the symptoms associated, please don’t hesitate to call Veterinary Emergency Clinic. We are always available, ready to answer any questions you have, and ready to combat any emergency. As the only 24 hour animal hospital in WNY dedicated 100% to emergency care, we know how to handle any situation. Safety First!
Tags: 24 hour emergency vet hospital, animal safety, emergency animal poison control, Emergency Vet, Emergency Vet Hospital, Pet Safety, poison control for pets, prescription medicine safety, vet in wny, Veterinarian Buffalo